Friday, February 24, 2012

This Shall be the Spring of Fruit.

I'm sorry, blog. I've neglected you because of how insane school and the bike business make me.

But no matter how many papers I have to write, I still have to do a few crafty things once in awhile to de-stress. Lately, it's been planning and ordering a few things for the future of the mini-farm thing we've got going on here.

Last year, our garden was pretty dang successful. We had a ton of kale, pumpkins, zucchini, banana peppers, and spaghetti squash. My bush green beans didn't do so hot, I didn't replant peas when I should have, and tomatoes were OK. But it was a pretty good effort overall. Newspapers under weedblock was an awesome setup that didn't require much weeding.

So this year, I branched out, hardcore, in my planning.

I've purchased two dwarf apple trees that are more like tiny bushes, that grow to only 3-4 feet tall, but produce full-size apples. It'll take 3 years at least for those to bear fruit, but it'll be interesting once they do.


The above tree in the front is one of the trees we ordered. Small, and cute! They will go on the side of our house where there isn't anything right now.

I've bought a 3-pack of cherry bushes and a raspberry bush that will give us some fruit next year or the year after, along with two patio blueberry plants - potted, so they can be on our second floor deck where squirrels can't tear them to shreds.


Also, I bought a dwarf Meyer lemon plant, which will be in a big pot on our deck and be taken inside during the winter months and placed in front of a sunny window. Our sliding deck door in our bedroom has a wonderful southern exposure all day long, so we need to be milking that for all its worth.

I'm also going to try my hand at watermelons and broccoli this year, neither of which I've attempted before. I'll be repeating the pumpkins, zucchini, and other squashes, as well as green beans, kale, spinach, tomatoes, and peppers. This is going to require a bit more space for the garden, but not much.

I've done OK with vegetables. I hope I can make fruits grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment