Friday, July 2, 2010

Brokeapottomus!

So my unemployment officially ran out, which means we're down a good chunk of income every week. It's going to be pretty tough, nearly impossible, for me to swing finding a job - I'll be going to school three days a week starting in 2 months, and Mike will be working the days I'm off. Working on the weekends and leaving Nathan with my in-laws is a possibility, but I'm trying to take a full course load because that's what financially works best as far as grants and tuition waivers go, and it'd be silly to fail out of school for a minimum wage job 16 hours a week.

What is in my control is keeping the expenses to a bare minimum. For instance, the dryer is off-limits until October or whenever it gets way too cold and gross to dry things outdoors. I didn't mind drying stuff outside, but I'd throw it in the dryer to fluff it up for 15 minutes to my jeans weren't all hard and gross, but not now. I just deal with it. It builds character!

The eating out? Not anymore. We'll set a budget of say, $60 a month for eating out - that's 3 trips to the sub shop or Chinese place, which I think is more than reasonable for a month. Of course, if any of us make an emergency pit stop for fast food or something, that counts against the cap.

I don't tend to buy much as far as clothing, and I have maternity clothes leftover from when I was pregnant with Nathan - sure, it's mostly business casual, but I'll look overdressed while I clean the kitchen - no biggie! Nathan's not in need of anything, neither is Mike - we're still pretty lucky in so many respects, we don't really *need* much of anything at all. We'll survive, totally.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. I have 3 more check left, then IDK what. I may ask Nathan if I can share his crib. Or maybe him and I can go halfsies on some awesome bunk beds,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple pairs of maternity jeans you can borrow if that's something lacking in your wardrobe and they fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have two pairs! One that got me through my entire last pregnancy (on weekends anyway), and an almost identical pair I picked up at Savers for $6 a few months ago. And I probably have a good half-dozen non-business shirts, which is fine. I should go through and consign the stuff that's way too small that I'll never wear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some cute tops that might fit you, that aren't business cas. I'll also look for small diapers. We're cutting down, too, since I'm not going back to work, but if you think there's anything we can do to help, let us know! :) We should totally barter- eggs for babysitting or something. I love hangin wit Nate-dogg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not going back to work this fall? Wow! I totally didn't know that. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete