Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fun With Parenting - "Oopsy Daisy's Bad Bad Day"



This is, by far, Nathan's favorite book. It was given to us by a neighbor of Mike's parents, an older couple I've never met before. I never even really gave it a look until he started being old enough to read to. One day I picked it up and read it to him, and I realized it wasn't really a kid's book at all. There's multicolored, trippy drug references, ninja attacks, people throwing cell phones, and cute little Oopsy Daisy's untimely demise at the hands of a shark. And he loves it. From start to finish, he laughs at that book. Probably because of the colors, but I'd like to think it's because he finds her accidental destruction of priceless modern art hilarious.

I finally looked it up, and it was written by the same guy who wrote the Emily the Strange series, which makes sense. I need to find more books like this. I love Sandra Boynton, but there's not much dark humor in Sandra Boynton.

No comments:

Post a Comment